Friday, December 30, 2011

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

December 2011
WOW! Where has 2011 gone?  It seems just like yesterday it was January. Who knew 2011 would bring so many new chapters in our lives as well as milestones?  For our family and friends that may be scratching their heads, I guess we need to update some pertinent details of our lives before going on to “new chapters” and “milestones”.
In the midst of two different divorces, God reunited two old friends from high school and blessed our broken roads. Some may say it is a “fairy tale” story, but when we reconnected we both admitted having feelings for each other 28 years ago.  Neither of us would act on it back in the day.  We both valued the friendship we had and were afraid to ruin it.  Fast forward 20 plus years to a class reunion at our alma mater’s homecoming game…. we ran into each other and over the next few years we would stay in touch via email and facebook, updating each other with the current happenings in our family’s lives every so often.  When we found ourselves in the midst of our separate divorces we became sounding boards for each other.  Once everything was said and done, we started dating.  On October 20, 2011, we both said “I do”. 
We have four children between us…..Jeff has two sons; Charles, 14 and Luke, 9.  I have a daughter, Stephanie, 19 and a son, Caleb, 17.  Stephanie is engaged to a wonderful young man named Paul Vincent.  They have set a wedding date of April 28th.  She is currently enrolled at Savannah Tech and pursuing a degree in dental hygiene.  Paul works for his dad who owns an auto body/car care shop. Caleb is in 12th grade at a vocational school where he is in his 3rd year of welding. After he graduates…well…we just want him to graduate at the moment.  He plans on going to the fire academy and doing welding on the side. He is still an avid sportsman, ALL YEAR LONG!  Charlie is in 9th grade, loves to skateboard and is quite good at it. He plays on a traveling baseball team where he is a catcher and outfielder.  Luke is in 3rd grade and eats, breathes, sleeps and talks baseball.  He always has a ball of some type in his hand.  Luke pitches and plays shortstop.  He too is on a traveling baseball team.  For approximately 7 months out of the year they play ball at least two weekends a month.
Along with bringing two families together, I am learning all I can about military life. I am completely new to it and am like a sponge, soaking up all I can.  I have A LOT to learn.  I never would have thought I would be married to a Soldier or living the military lifestyle, but I am.  I wouldn’t trade it.  During our first month of marriage he has been gone for over half of it.  Needless to say, we cherish our time together.
Jeff is the new Commander of the 218th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade Headquarters and Headquarters Company out of Charleston for the South Carolina Army National Guard. While I think this is a big deal, he is happy just to have a “big office” and not be sleeping on the back of a tank anymore.  Over the next few months he will be preparing the unit for deployment in 2012.  Jeff also plays with his band Southern Blue. They play a mix of southern rock and blues.
I am working part time as a manager of two tanning salons here in Myrtle Beach. I have 8 young ladies that work for me and at times I feel like I have 8 more daughters.  Thank goodness we won’t be paying for those weddings. 
Well, that’s about it for us.  Each one of you has a special place in our hearts.  We hope y’all have a Merry Christmas.
The Blankenships

4 comments:

  1. Hope you and your new blended family have a wonderful year and that life brings you more happiness, love and friendships.

    Take it from an old army spouse/brat.......military life for some can be a big challenge. However if you just learn to roll with the punches, everything will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and welcome to the land of blogging :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great broken road story!! I hope your family had a very Merry Christmas! I found your blog through Debbiedoos and I'm so glad to be your 2nd GFC follower!! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

    Come visit me sometime at 52mantels.com and follow me back if you get a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year!


    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete